Re: What about an announce-only mailing list?

From: Björn Fischer
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:20:05 +0200

Contrary to what Neil said in a previous post, with only one or two e-mails per year, I would personally prefer a subscription reminder to be sent out every month or two to (1) show that the list is still alive and (2) remind me that I am still subscribed.

I can just say how I personally prefer it: If I subscribe to a list with very low traffic, I would not like to be reminded every month. I would rather like to be able to forget about the list until there is something going on there. And having an "overhead" of 12 reminder mails for 2 mails of content per year would not be my preferred option.

I think the other problem with the Pingus announce list on Savannah was that there were hardly any subscribers. Anyway, I don't control the mailing lists. People will need to convince Ingo.

Well, that's a good point. If noone uses it it's useless (what a sentence :-). But there is at least one subscriber (Michele). And I hope pingus will get more famous in the future (the better it gets the more famous it will become) so that there will probably be more subscribers in the future than there were in the past.

But you're right. Ingo or David will have to decide this. We can only say how we think about it. And if that wasn't clear enough: I would think it's a good idea :-)

Greetings

Björn