Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 03:46:32 +0200

David Philippi wrote:
compiling the 0.6 tree is a nice exercise. ;-)

Exercise, yes... nice, not really.

- There's no ./configure, so you have to run autoconf and automake yourself - plus aclocal -I m4 (I had to learn the last one from Google).
Was there an easier way around this?
- On my system, the check for clanJPEG failed when ClanLib 0.6 was installed in /usr/local . I think the linker tried to use the 0.7 version of ClanLib instead (or maybe the check just doesn't like /usr/local - I don't know). - Making Pingus use my localization was another problem; I had to add this symbolic link to make it work:
  $ ls -l /usr/local/share/games/pingus/locale
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 9 01:36 /usr/local/share/games/pingus/locale -> ../../locale/ (and of course I had to examine the source a bit to figure out that this was what was needed).

Or is it just me who should learn m4,aclocal,auto{conf,make},gettext to know better before I can call myself a developer?

(In that case, which open source projects constitute the Tutorial Island? :)

/Erik