Re: Level Comment Tool online - could be of interest to leveldesigners

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Level Comment Tool online - could be of interest to leveldesigners
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:15:03 +0200

Rune Zedeler wrote:

Would be nice with a possibility to submit demo-recordings, though.

The more I think about this, the better the idea is.

We could automate the job of listing "minimal" action sets and fastest solutions. The level commenting tool could simply run the submitted demos and track the number of actions used. The level-commenting-interface could then show all minimal sets of actions and the fastest time, the most number of pingus saved, etc, etc.

If we define:

A solution S is *superior* to a solution T if

    (#pingus saved in T) =< (#pingus saved in S)
AND (time used in S) =< (time used in T)
AND (diggers used in S) =< (diggers used in T)
AND ... etc for all other options
AND at least one of the =< above are in fact <

Then all solutions for which no superior solutions exist are in some way interesting, and all those could be listed.

This way one could also quickly check whether a game-logic change would ruin an existing level: If some of the archived solutions stopped working, then the level needs a re-check, or the game-logic change would need a reconsideration.

-Rune