Re: Recompressing PNG images

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Recompressing PNG images
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:19:08 -0000

> Just saving 10% isn't really worth it, I would waste time with it. And
> chances are far too high to wreak the image on the conversion (loose
> alpha channel, convert ty 256 colors by excident or whatever).

I just found the optipng program,
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~cosmin/pngtech/optipng/, and running that on 728
of the files (most of them, but not quite all) I get:

Original size: 6,264,041
New size: 5,771,719
Reduction: 492,322 - around 8%

Since the optipng program is available on Linux, and it should just be a
command line and sit back and wait for a few minutes, its not that hard to
do. Also, the program guarantees identical images, so no inadvertant losing
alpha, coverting to lower colour depths etc.

As a modem user, a 0.5Mb saving would be quite nice. If not all images are
recompressed, can at least the chalk_large.png file be recompressed, as
thats currently about 150Kb more than required.

Neil