Re: Pingus scripting support

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Pingus scripting support
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:40:42 +0100

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> I assume this will affect the editor.

Mostly the editor, since half of the editor itself could be written in
the scripting language.

> If you are going to add scripting supporting, would it be a good
> idea for me to hold fire on fixing the editor?

The only thing that should be done to the current editor is minimal
bug-fixing, say if it goes into an endless loop at some point or so or
SEGFAULT that should be fixed, everything else could can wait.

> Or, looking at this from another direction, what changes are needed
> to the editor for there to be scripting support?

Complete rewrite, not because of the scripting support, but because of
the complete lack of a propper GUI framework below the editor, its
currently just a bunch of mega ugly hacks and workarounds that is
holding the editor together.

> Also, what things do you envisage Pingus being able to do with
> scripts that Pingus would not be able to do otherwise. I do not know
> anything about Lua or Guile so I don't know what they can or can't
> do.

In the editor it should allow the users to do a bunch of batch
operations, insert customized objects, etc. (ie insert a whole bunch
of random stones or something like that). The scripting in the editor
should also be the thing that holds all the GUI components together.
See the Windstille editor (only in CVS), which uses the same code that
I want to reuse in Pingus. -> http://www.nongnu.org/windstille/

For the game it will not make a groundbreaking difference at least not
in the beginning, but it will allow to have custom triggers, ie let
something happen when number of Pingus in a level is below five, if
five Pingus are on a specific location, etc. For the worldmap it could
make stuff like secret passages and cutscenes a whole lot easier.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927