Re: The old click response issue

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: The old click response issue
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:41:47 +0200

Am Mit, den 08.10.2003 schrieb John August um 14:11:
> Could you please give me a rundown on how pingus responds to the mouse
> being positioned at a location, and how it responds to mouse clicks ?
> Which files, where the interface is with the operating system.

The low level part of the interface is in /input and the filenames
should be telling enough. The interface uses ClanLib for abstraction of
the OS.

> Pingus responds immediately to the position of the mouse - ticks and
> information text comes up rapidly. However, it takes a while to respond
> to mouse clicks.

Using a hardware mouse cursor I'd be surprised if moving the mouse
wouldn't cause immediate reaction. A click on the other hand is another
matter, it takes a game cycle to be recognized/processed. Since Pingus
still requires quite a lot of CPU power, this could cause some
sloppiness. I don't experience any problems here on a P3 733.

> It would be useful to have a bit of an idea of how these things operate.

If you've need more information, just ask.

Bye David