Re: Win 32 GCC Development

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Win 32 GCC Development
Date: 12 Aug 2003 21:11:21 +0200

Am Die, 2003-08-12 um 20.33 schrieb Neil Mitchell:
> Pingus does not need DirectX or OpenGL (well not directly), as it uses
> ClanLib, which handles all of the drawing (internally on Windows it calls
> DirectX, but I think ClanLib .lib's have the necessary compiled in)

The problem will be to get ClanLib compiled with MinGW or Cygwin. I'm
quite sure that it is possible if one is ready to invest the required
time.

> The Windows port was not dead, I kept it compiled regularly, but then it was
> decided to rely on VC++ 7 features, I had to stop (as I'm only at 6).

Does it still compile with VC++ 7 only? I thought that I had corrected
the reaming issues with the help of a patch from someone else. If there
are errors with VC++ 6 you may post them to the list so that we may try
to fix them.
The real problem is that I don't know of anyone who managed to get it
compiling with support for gettext on Windows so a Win32 wouldn't have
any translations. :-(

> You shouldn't have to touch the code to do this project, in theory.... In
> reality the odd tweak might be needed, but if you match GCC version to the
> other Pingus's developers, its unlikely. What you will probably need is to
> be a makefile expert.

The version of GCC should be irrelevant, GCC 2.95 should still be able
to compile the code, I know of no GCC 3.x only features beeing used
(would be very unlikely that those are supported by VC++ 6 too). If need
be on that level, just ask. I strongly suspect that linking will be the
only thing that's getting really difficult to sort out.

Bye David