Re: Pingus font found!!!

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Pingus font found!!!
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:06:54 +0100

> However, if somebody extracts the font from Pingus in any way, he can
> put in his own terms and conditions of its use.

Hmmm.  I've just re-read the quote from the GPL that I just sent.  The
above paragraph isn't really the right interpretation of the quote.  That
paragraph was supposed to refer to this:

"...If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
Program...then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works."

This quote refers to us distributing the font as a separate entity.
However, we are not.

There is no mention in the GPL of somebody extracting the font from Pingus
except for the copyright that Ingo holds on Pingus.  It seems that the
best anybody can do is alter the font as much as they want as long as it
remains a part of Pingus.

I think I'll give up trying to interpret the GPL for tonight...

Thanks,
Gervase.