Continuing the storyline ...

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Continuing the storyline ...
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:14:30 +0200

> From: David Philippi <address@hidden>
>
> Am Sam, 2003-06-14 um 16.45 schrieb Stefan Dirsch:
> > I would like to add one or more additional islands to the
> > game using levels already playable from "levels/playable"
> > directory.
>
> Well, that's been more or less the plan from the beginning. It's just
> not as easy as it may seem, one has to do the following:
>
> 1. continue the story to define the setting of the next world
>    (I guess it would have to be quite cold to keep it logical.)

Are there any plans how the storyline should continue?
A mandatory start through tutorial island is a good thing, so that people
learn most of the features of the game in the beginning.

Perhaps we should add a shortcut so that one could go directly near the end
of tutorial island, that would make continuing the story faster, in case
one's ~/.pingus directory got removed?

Will the story be a linear one, or will there be branches into multiple
story lines?
I would vote for the latter, as it eases game development. We could extend
the game in parallel working in different corners of the world.
I would suggest to allow the pingus to paddle away in different directions
from tutorial island. Naming is a bit tricky here, as we start off from the
south pole, all directions would be more or less "north". (The Image of the
pingus rafting towards sunset is so beautiful, so we should keep it;
although I doubt, that such sunsets can be seen from tutorial island.)

> 2. Search through the levels in (un)playable for good canditates to fill
> the new world, maybe adapt difficulty sometimes and likely create new
> ones to get the number sufficiently high.

Levels need to be finalized, before they make it into a worldmap.
Many levels in playable still have 'odd features' like 'pingus climbing the
edge of the screen'. Or 'pingus appearing out of thin air' or just a few
centimeters besides the enterance.

cheers,
        Jw.

--