Re: Pingus Configuration Tool

From: Marcio Luis Teixeira
Subject: Re: Pingus Configuration Tool
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:29:41 -0700

That wasn't very nice of me to shoot down your idea without suggesting
anything better, so I spent some time doing some research.

If all you need is a simple configuration interface, a possibility might be to
use tcl/tk to build one. I'm not partial to tcl/tk, it's syntax looks god
awful, but it may be the best choice for the configuration tool for these
reasons:

  1) Most linux distros have this already installed
  2) It has been ported to every major platform
  3) It's been around forever and will continue to be around forever
  4) Writing a simple configuration gui in it would be relatively easy

But the best reason is this:

   http://freewrap.sourceforge.net

This project provides a simple tool that converts a tcl/tk app into a static
executable for Linux and Windows. I just tried it out with a simple "Hello
World!" gui and the file size was 1300K. That's larger than the 900K for your
statically linked Glade app, but not by enough to make me worry much.

Anyhow, I don't think either the tcl/tk or the Gtk solutions are perfect. They
both have problems. The only thing that is important is that Pingus not
require the interface to run, since I'ld hate to see Pingus not be ported to
some platform because the configuration interface didn't carry over.

Marcio Luis Teixeira