Re: [Bug #1999] Pingus Crashes with segmentation fault, while bashing ou

From: Craig Timpany
Subject: Re: [Bug #1999] Pingus Crashes with segmentation fault, while bashing out of right screen
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:05:47 +1300

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:56, you wrote:
> Maybe something indestructible so that every Pingu reaching the border just
> turns and walks back. Letting Pingus die when they reach the side of the
> screen limits the design possibilities a too much IMHO.

Well, I don't see any difference in design possibilities between the two
approaches (a designer could surround the level by air or ground to get this
effect), but it's important that the Pingus behave in ways that make sense to
the player.

When I first played Lemmings, I remember being surprised and a little shocked
that they would get killed simply by reaching the side of the level (what's
killing them?). I think my expectation was that they would turn back.

Craig Timpany