Re: BUG #1589: The whole concept of forces/move_with_forces/forces_holde

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: BUG #1589: The whole concept of forces/move_with_forces/forces_holder needs to be rethought
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 02:52:12 +0000

> Subject: Re: BUG #1589: The whole concept of
> forces/move_with_forces/forces_holder needs to be rethought
> From: Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden>
> Date: 28 Nov 2002 19:57:42 +0100

> Something like that. Beside the collision stuff we should also keep
> track of a generic terrain-traversal engine, currently its all in
> walker and duplicated more or less in climber and sooner or later in
> the slider. But keep in mind that all code changes need to make the
> situation better and not worse, breaking actions is just too easy.

Where should this engine reside?

Initially I was thinking of having a linear_move() function in
PinguAction.  A collision function object would be passed in as a
parameter of the function.

This would sort out the unification of the Faller and Bomber actions, and
therefore the bug I was originally trying to sort out, bombers stopping in
mid-air.

However, it would not be a good idea to use linear_move() for a Bridger
who needs to move (+4, +2).  This would mean that another function
(perhaps called walk_move()?) would be needed.

Should walk_move() be put into PinguAction as well?

Thanks,
Gervase.