Re: beta testing comments

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: beta testing comments
Date: 01 Nov 2002 13:08:56 +0100

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. How do you suggest doing this? In pause mode? With a modifier
> key? It works right now in most cases if you apply the action in
> pause mode but I wouldn't count on this "feature" to stay forever.

This feature will stay forever, if pause mode ever gets removed or
less powerfull, we will provide something that gives the player equal
abilities.

> 2. Don't you think that the way it is may be seen as feature. You
> have to be fast to apply the action before to many pingus arrive (or
> lucky).

Lemmings had this 'feature' of not giving the player a way to select
the correct Lemmings, which resulted in quite a lot of frustration,
since you could 100% know how to finish a level, but still need 20
tries since you always build your last bridge into the wrong
direction. Ok, a bit of frustration is ok, a level shouldn't really be
solveable by just "pause, click a pingu, pause, click a pingu, pause,
fastforward, solved." on the first try, since that makes it to easy,
but once one really knows which actions are needed at which point, the
level should be solveable in a single try and not depend upon random
events.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927