Fixed width numbers and infinite time.

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Fixed width numbers and infinite time.
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:36:32 +0100

I'm looking into the making the numbers fixed width in Pingus.  The code
that displays "00" if the amount of time to complete a level is infinite
also involves the fixed width numbers (i.e. fonts).

I know that one of the items in the bug list is to have an infinity sign
for this situation.  However, I was wondering, wouldn't it be hassle free
and therefore easier not have the time displayed at all?

This is especially the case when the infinity character is not an ASCII
character.  This means that it would not "translate" well to the character
sets of non-PC computers.

The alternative is to hijack an existing ASCII character.  But this isn't
really very good.  Later in the development process, there may be an idea
where having the original ASCII character would clearly show the player
something on the screen.

So, have nothing in the top right-hand corner of the screen if the time is
infinite.  The player would automatically know that the time limit is
infinite because the player sees nothing in the top right-hand corner.

On the other hand, may be the infinity character could be displayed as a
surface on the screen.  This would mean no ASCII or non-ASCII character
would be used.

Thanks,
Gervase.