Re: some graphics

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: some graphics
Date: 15 Oct 2002 01:37:58 +0200

basse <address@hidden> writes:

> well.. I tried some graphics.. you can see them here:
>
> http://basse.no-ip.org/pingus/
>
> there are buttons, and screenshot showing how they look on the actual
> game. (yep, I already ruined my copy of pingus)
>

> what do you think?

First of all this looks very good, excellent work.

But I think it doesn't fit into the game, the style of the penguins is
quite different from the one in Pingus. Pingus look quite a bit more
like a duck type animal, than like a penguin one (something like a
penguin with a duck head), yours look like cartooned penguins (too
large eyes, body too round, etc).

And another thing, you don't have to make your GUI to reassemble the
structure of the old one, you can design something completly different
and unrelated, it just has to have a similar number of buttons (some
things could be placed into sub-menus, etc.), position and shape of
the buttons doesn't really matter. We can change all this things
pretty easily.

And yet another thing, text for the buttons should be included in the
gfx, adding it in the game with a generic font just makes it look
pretty ugly, even so it makes translation easy it destroys the whole
look&feel, but having the text in a different layer is probally a good
idea, so we don't have to ship all the complete images multiple times.

PS1:

I really tend to like the old 0.4 GUI:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/pingus-menu-0.4.jpg

Even so it was pretty simple, it matched the game pretty well. The
background could have been better, the text isn't perfect and some
Pingus running around at the ground would be nice, but after all I
still like it, which I can't say of the current one. If we want to
integrade larger Pingus into the menu, I think they really should be
just add-on's to the text, not the other way around.

PS2: It would be nice if you could try to integrade the logo from the
0.4 menu inside your GUI somehow, logo is available at:

ftp://pingus.seul.org/pub/pingus/contrib/grumbel/logo_blank.png

PS3: Here a GUI design that never made it into the game:

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/pingu-menu-exp.jpg

Well, its not very exciting, just another thing thing that might be
worth to experiment with.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927