Re: Bombers stop in the air if they detonate

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Bombers stop in the air if they detonate
Date: 05 Oct 2002 14:44:46 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> However, the overall effect I am getting is that a falling Bomber
> hits the ground or drowns before it explodes. The reason is because
> by the time it has fallen two-thirds of a screen (i.e. The entrance
> platform to the water in Evil in the Dark), only 5 frames of the
> bomber has been done out of the "15" frames.

Workaround could look like this:

1. Bomber starts to fill itself with air

2. Fall speed goes down, since bomber will behave like a baloon

3. Bomber explodes like normal.

So, instead of letting the bomber behave like a faller, it should get
an additional force pushing him upwards, so that:

 faller-speed += gravity - bomber_upforce;

Floater->Bomber must be useable to bomb holes into the wall to the
left/right (quite a lot levels use that), Faller->Bomber is ok if they
aren't really useable for this (if levels use that a floater
should/could be added). Since floater don't accelerate and have a slow
constant speed, the bomber translation shouldn't cause to much of
height-loose, if any.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927