Re: Basher fix problem

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Basher fix problem
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:56:31 +0100

> Subject: Re: Pingu stuck and collision code
> From: Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden>
> Date: 30 Sep 2002 18:47:32 +0200

> The basher code current checks the wrong pixel, picking a check range
> that is closer to the bash-radius and to the pingus height might help.

As mentioned in a previous post, this won't work.  If I did this, I would
re-introduce a problem that I solved.  Simplified, I think the
problem went like this:

(1) Basher bashes a circular hole.  Therefore there is now no ground in
the circular hole.

(2) The Basher then checks to see if there is any ground WITHIN the hole
(i.e. within Basher reach).  As there now isn't any (!!), the Basher stops
bashing immediately.

It didn't happen all of the time but definitely far too often.

The fix I've done is to make the bash area checked include the Bash
Height.  Since anything below the Bash Height is not checked, a Pingu
could walk on to it and have a head collision.  This caused a problem
because previously the Bash Height was excluded from the bash
"calculation", which already inlcuded the Pingu Height.

I was also intending to change bash_radius.png as I thought the "step"
that should be left behind by a Basher would not be large enough after
this fix.  This is why I made things less hard coded.

However, having a look after just doing the code changes, I think that the
"step" left behind looks OK.  So, I won't bother with the change to
bash_radius.png.

Thanks,
Gervase.