Re: How to continue

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: How to continue
Date: 11 Jun 2002 13:51:15 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> I knew that I'd forget something - I'm very happy about the reduction of
> shared_ptr use. Not only did it allow me to reduce header dependencies
> further, it also simplifies the code. Are there any places where a
> shared_ptr is really needed and not just used as a blown up auto_ptr ?
> Whenever I see a shared_ptr<X> in the code, I wonder wheter reference
> counting is really needed here...

At a few places its just used as an auto_ptr<>
(shared_ptr<MultiplayerClientChield>). In a few other places its
simply missplaced. For example the whole shared_ptr<Controller> stuff,
but as I want to get rid of the current Controller concept I haven't
yet changed that. The shared_ptr<WorldObj> stuff is a little bit more
difficult, since one needs to keep track of all the stuff that is
placed into the world, collecting them in a seperate std::vector<> and
deleteing them at level destruction might be the way to go. Something
similar might be needed in the Editor.

Some other issues which I might like to see in the editor:

 * objects groups, which can be imported/exported, for example
   entrances.

 * other entrance behaviour, currently they are quite a bit to random
   in there behaviour. Since entrances in a single level can have
   different release rates, its not easily predictable how many pingus
   will get released from a single entrance

--
Advent:     http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/advent/
Feuerkraft: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/feuerkraft/