Re: Unneccessary helper function

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Unneccessary helper function
Date: 07 Jun 2002 21:05:16 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just found ListHelper.hh.
> The statement that STL list doesn't provide append is correct. But there is a
> method "void merge(list<T> &)".
> I'd propose to remove the helper and ask everyone to remember the correct
> method of list. It's unfortunate that some methods have different names
> across different containers.

Are you sure that merge() has the same semantics as append()?

,----[ http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/List.html ]
| void merge(list<T, Alloc>& x);
|
| Both *this and x must be sorted according to operator<, and they must
| be distinct. (That is, it is required that &x != this.) This function
| removes all of x's elements and inserts them in order into *this. The
| merge is stable; that is, if an element from *this is equivalent to
| one from x, then the element from *this will precede the one from x.
| All iterators to elements in *this and x remain valid. This function
| is linear time: it performs at most size() + x.size() - 1 comparisons.
`----

As far as I understand this, it is meant to merge two sorted list into
a single sorted list (mergesort). Its also destructiv to the argument.
This sounds quite a bit different from what my ListHelper::append()
does.

--
Advent:     http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/advent/
Feuerkraft: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/feuerkraft/