phpgroupware-users

Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Replacing OpenExchange - multiple domain suppor

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Replacing OpenExchange - multiple domain support?
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:11:31 -0500

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Peets wrote:
>  Hi, am examining phpGroupware to replace an aged OpenExchange platform.
>
>  I would like to run it on Ubuntu server or OpenSuSE 10.3.
>
>  The key question I need to have answered is simply how phpG supports
> multiple email domains (there's presently nil app documentation available -
> it's all hiding behind "we're working on it" signs :).  OpenExchange is has
> an easy admin GUI to add & remove domain names and then add users to it, if
> phpG has such a thing as well I can let it least lose on someone else :).
>
>  Help appraciated :)

I think the first issue here is that, and correct me if I am wrong,
OpenExchange is a full blown mail server where phpGroupWare is a mail
client.  whatever smtp/pop3/imap server you choose is where you
configure the mail accounts and domains, then you make matching
accounts in phpw, and/or use LDAP to have a centralized account
managemnt, that use a "template" of sorts to login to the mail server.

outside of that, multi-domain support in phpgw is more for having a
separate databases for multiple domains, but using the same phpgw
install on the server.  you'd use aliases and/or vhosts point domains
and/or urls to phpgw, or use a selection box on the phpgw login screen
at a common url, and the domains are defined in the manage header part
of /setup.