RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed changes to 16 API

From: Dave Hall
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed changes to 16 API
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:11:54 +1000

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 13:42 +0200, Mailings - Christian Boettger wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > What do people think?  I plan to commit this in a few days
> > unless there is any real objections.
>
> I do strongly object putting so many new things into .16. Really. We
> have rejected smaller changes in the past for stability reasons.

The only thing which would effect current code is Sigurd's XSLT template
patch.  As I have already explained (but you dropped from the message)
the rest of the code will not be used by any existing API code.

> I propose to build a .18 (or .20 or whatever we like to call it)
> version, consisting of the current .16 + your additions, make that a
> stable release (which should be trivial seen in the light that you
> even want to put it in .16) and close .16 for development.

I don't support this as this is time consuming and it means that HEAD
needs to be reversioned again.  The changes I propose help us get closer
to a stable head, where as your proposal moves us further away from it.

> This would give other devs a chance to get their code included in .18
> as well, if it is well tested etc etc

They can add it to HEAD then.  I am currently working in HEAD, but am
getting sick of adding the same libs over and over again to apps in
HEAD.  18 will be based off head not 14 (which 16 is based off).

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)