[Phpgroupware-developers] VFS rework in progress and Filemanager update

From: Benoit Hamet
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] VFS rework in progress and Filemanager update
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:08:22 +0100

Heya all,

I just "finish" some work about vfs layer.

Many things are only proposals and AFAIK Dave seems to have some question about it (I'm waiting his response :).

To be short:
* Some code refactoring into vfs_shared : the generic code is put in it, so new future layer don't need to copy&paste code, resulting in bugs corrected somewhere and not in the others layers.

* Some new features like lock/unlock given by webdav system. I put them here so, there is some generics features relatives to lock that are shared between classes (typically, code to save cache, and add/remove_lock_override).

* The dav layer as been reworked for better performance, better vfs_shared compliance, and Apache 2 webdav module compatibility (less permissive about location than apache 1.3).

 * Added support for dav https repositories.

I use the old (?) files under filemanager/tests/test.php to check some way of compliance between vfs_sql and vfs_dav. I need to test with test_dav.php to be able to work with sql layer (since lock method is in vfs_shared).

* I will try to work on some more generic tests for the vfs layer, but time is short now. (Yes I know quality, ... :)

* I have some Ideas about journalling (not yet supported by the dav layer) and locking implementation in sql: * Why not create an independant modules containing the Journalling system ? so like ext2/ext3 way of life we get the journalling in some case. But after a quick tour in the sql_layer, I'm not sure if we can do this without a great effort ... The main advantage is to share the journalling system between dav and SQL or other layer ... * Locking in sql could be something really simple with a separate table containing the file_id and the kind of lock, with the owner. With the same consideration, doing this in a separate module could be a goodd idea, just to permit sharing locks with different layers. Dav implements it's own locking system because it's "easy" and very usefull when used with webfolders under Windows...

* Next, Why not a versionning implementation like a svn or cvs like filesystem ?

I know, We are the 18th and the deadline was the 10th, but ... As you want. I'm open to discuss...

I will send my work in a few moment after this mail, I still need to be sure that there are not to many bugs :). (I will try to test the test_dav.php test against an new sql one system)

Hope this will be usefull to someone (Yeah, not many people seems to use DAV filesystem ;).

Regards,
Caeies.