Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] moving API from LGPL to GPL???

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] moving API from LGPL to GPL???
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:10:09 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Before you read this, please keep this in mind, I am not in the mood for
another fight at the moment.  If people want to have a fight over this
good ahead, I will keep working away.  My position and justfications for
it are at the end of this message.  I am too battle weary to try deal
with this atm.

Dan Kuykendall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Whats this all about?

This is an issue which has raised its head a couple of times in the last
few months.  There are references to it in this list's archives.

I have been involved in discussion with some contributors to the project
during this time.  They are speak up if they wish.  I will try to
summarise what I understand the situation to be.

We currently have a LGPLd api, which also contains some GPL code.

The api license was changed from GPL to LGPL - the legality of which has
been questioned by some.

Some people wish to change the license back to GPL - which is allowed
under the LGPL - but is not possible to go the other way without consent

> Thats completely opposed to the entire way we
> setup this project?

Is that a question or a statement? :)

This is my view on the matter.

I support the change for the following reasons:

If there is any doubt of the change from GPL to LGPL it should be reversed

I don't think we meet the current FSF guidelines for using the LGPL -
see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html.  Primarily there are
many free alternatives to phpGW, and few non free alternatives.  I think
those people who are inclined to use a non free groupware solution for
developing app, they are unlikely to chose phpgw cos it is LGPL as
opposed to GPL.

I think a GPLd api will reduce the possibility of those who are not
committed to the project cashing in.  I have no problem with someone
making a buck, but they should also give something back if they benefit
so much while contributing nothing.

Anyway, I feel another fight is brewing, time to return to my bomb shelter.

Cheers

Dave