Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with acc

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook model and integration with accounts
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:45:25 +1000

Brian Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael Dean (address@hidden) wrote:

> >> Well kinda, i started thinking about the model a lot.  I saw
> bits i like
> >> from several sources, including phpgw contacts, dcl, addbook, irc
> >> discussions, and my own thoughts.  This model is designed to be
> a group
> >> contacts system, which includes and addressbook, some crm
> functions, the
> >> ability to incorporate better communication from within phpgw.
> >
> >You also ditched the organization info tables.
> >

> I'm sure the concept is to use the same info (ie adresses, phone
> numbers, etc)
> tables for both orgs and people.

Yep :)

> >> Yes, I never liked the notes table, but it was kept cos there
> was some
> >> support for it, I am happy to see it go.  Maybe keeping a
> single TEXT
> >> field would allow basic notes to be attached to a record, for
> those who
> >> do not use infolog.
> >
> >Why should someone have to install infolog to keep notes on a
> contact or
> >organization?  As far as the alternative, one field is not
> enough.  It
> >needs to be a 1-n.
> >

> I guess the argument is that you don't have to install infolog, it
> is already
> installed for you.
>
> I know that the modular approach is the holy grail here, but some
> better integration
> between some of the core apps is badly needed.  If that
> integration leads to some
> apps being dependant on others, I'm all for it as long as the
> dependant app is one
> of the core apps.

I disagree here.  I think the data_links class should go into the API,
but that is something for Ralf to propose as this is his code, not mine.
 I am happy to support the proposal, if someone moves it the API,
someone maintains it, and that person is not me.  I have extremely
limited time atm.

> For instance, I think many of the devs want to link to addressbook
> records, that
> will lead to the requirement that addressbook be installed in
> order to use their app

The addressbook app is just a UI for the contacts classes, in order to
access the contacts data via another method (such as XML-RPC or SOAP)
the addressbook app would not be required.