Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: timestamps with my MySQL in schema_pro

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: timestamps with my MySQL in schema_proc
Date: 10 Jun 2003 07:09:50 -0500

The point is it does not behave like timestamps in other databases.  If you have multiple timestamps in the record, only the first one is implicitly updated.  It makes way too many assumptions to be useful.

Do you have something against the datetime data type?  The reason it was chosen was for portability (read: similar behavior to other SQL servers).  If you introduce the timestamp, you introduce MySQL specific behavior implicitly to the application.

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 20:44, address@hidden wrote:
Michael Dean <address@hidden> a écrit:

> Because I hate the timestamp datatype in MySQL.  If you insert a NULL
> into the field, it sets it to now().  This is obviously not desired
> behavior.

what would be the expected behaviour? Isn't timestamp meant to tell
the time when the row was last changed?

Michael