Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:24:43 -0700

Ralf Becker wrote:
I'm one of this "jonny come latelys", my first API contribution dates may 2001 (Group level ACL). It hurds a lot to hear this permanent non-acknowledgement for all other contributions then your own, Dan.

I did not say that no one outside the founding four have contributed greatly. You have done alot of really good work. I am also not saying that you are all jonny come latelys. But as a whole, it does seem like the new kids on the team want to kick out all the old and assume ownership of a great project, simply because they are more active at the moment.

I had the same idea when I read this draft the first time, the reason why I support this too now: The task of these coordinators is not to maintain there area, but to coordinate the work in it.

Good point.

Just to give one example: When the phpwebhosting symlink disappeared from our CVS, we wrote you a mail. Nothing happend for days and we wrote to the savannah hackers to help us in that matter. You imediatly responded to them, you will take care of that matter. Nothing happend again for some days, 'til we wrote to the savannah hackers again and they made the necessary changes for us.

I did try and fix the problem when I responded in the savannah hackers list. But I had some problems getting into the CVS area of the server.

I am not going to assign my code away. I was planning to in the past, but with this type of crap turning up it will be a cold day in hell before it happens. Same for the phpgroupware.org domain.

This shows more the importance, of assigning everything to the fsf, then any other argument raised in this paper.

As mentioned a few times now. I will still assign the copyright, but not the domains or the trademark.

I'm pretty sure our contributors are mature enough to know which are the areas of there knowledge and not vote on stuff they have no idea about.

I prefer a structure that defines this a little better.

This is just wrong. Not all contributions are equal. Maybe this isnt "politically correct" to say, but its the truth. Each member of current core team has individually contributed more than all others combined. I think its handy to have stuff translated to spanish, but thats just not compariable to somewhere around 20,000 lines of code and about 3500 hours which I have personally pumped into phpGW.

This again only the view back into the past. And I will not start counting the number of lines I or someone else contributed.

In my example even you have a greater importance than someone who only helped translate to spanish. Maybe this is hard to qualtify, and its not something thats really able to be factored into a voting process. But there is a diff.

This includes me too, as I looked too long only for the technical side of phpGW and felt very angry from time to time, without articulating and changeing it.

You have discussed your anger from time to time. I know you dont always agree with the choices that mostly ceb has put, but that will happen in any situation.

Dan