RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] another database abstraction layer

From: Michael Dean
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] another database abstraction layer
Date: 24 Apr 2003 07:38:36 -0500

One of the problems with Metabase and it's schema difference is that it
isn't very smart.  We looked at this a couple of years ago and
determined that it would be risky if you skipped a version when you
upgrade (i.e., you upgrade from 0.9.12 to 0.9.16).

I did the initial coding of the schema proc classes to abstract the
upgrade process into a common code base.  We felt this offerred much
more control over the upgrade process and significantly reduced the risk
of the automated schema diff update not performing something as
intended.