[Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed ldap patch...

From: Izzy Blacklock
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposed ldap patch...
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:27:30 -0700

Well I just did some digging and it looks like uidnumber and gidnumber are
used in a number of places.  Here's the results from the phpgw root dir:

grep -R gidnumber * | wc -l
     32
grep -R uidnumber * | wc -l
     59

and from the phpgwapi dir

grep -R gidnumber * | wc -l
     23
grep -R uidnumber * | wc -l
     45

Obviousely there would be a lot of code to change, some of which probably
couldn't be changed to correct this issue the way I've proposed.  This leaves
two options: eliminate the option not to manage homedir and shell entries, or
provide a sane default if the user chooses not to provide one.

I can think of legitimate reasons why someone wouldn't want phpgw managing
system accounts, so eliminating the option probably isn't a good idea.  In
fact, it may be worth changing the wording to read:

  If using LDAP, do you want to manage system accounts?

Saying no should then remove the ability to add, remove, or otherwise modify
system account elements.  They should be limited to adding, removing, or
otherwise modifying phpgw elements from existing accounts.

I realize this is a lot more work then a simple patch, but I think it make the
most sense.  What does everyone else think?

I'll document the behavior as it is now.  As long as people don't try adding
the demo accounts and I'd guess add users with phpgw when they've said no to
managing the homedir and shell attributes, then there shouldn't be any
problems.

...Izzy