Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: phpgw's handling of cookies

From: Patrick Walsh (mr_e)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: phpgw's handling of cookies
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:38:33 -0800

> my ideas was that the second cookie would not be set at the beginning
> of a new session, but only at the moment where a user
> switches from phpgroupware to sitemgr-site or the other way round.

    So all links between the two would require the session id to be passed
via get parameters.  Hmmmm.

    I'm not sure this is the best functionality.  If someone is logged in in
phpgroupware and then enters the sitemgr url manually or from a bookmark, I
think that sitemgr should recognize their credentials.  I think it is
perhaps only the contributor who is testing pages who wants to be recognized
as anonymous.

> I am not sure if the changes were so fundamental. If I am not
> mistaken, the crucial part in the API would be to call setcookie with
> different values for sitemgr-site. The reproduction of the session
> cookie do not have to be done in the API, but could be done in
> sitemgr-link and the sitemgr-sites redirection function. But maybe I
> am missing something.

    This is indeed a serious change as right now there is a single session
creation function that is called and it does not have conditions on where
cookies should be placed or from where the session is being created.

> Patrick, a last question, just to make something sure. Do you know for
> sure that the reason for setting the cookies the way the API does
> ("generalizing" the domain and the path) is only for making sitemgr
> possible or is there something else?

    The reason for generalizing the path was related to SiteMgr.  The reason
for generalizing the domain was something unrelated.  I wish I recalled the
specifics.  Perhaps old cvs commit logs might shed some light.

..Patrick