Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Who is responsible for syncml-server?

From: Guillaume Courtois
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Who is responsible for syncml-server?
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:03:19 +0000

>All the php files states they where written by Jens P. Elsner
><address@hidden> and Mark Wormgoor <address@hidden>. There is a problem
>for me: i'd like to build and distribute the syncml server, but neither i can
>find the original source of libsml, nor i can find a responsible for that
>package. I can't include such a piece of software into Debian.
>Does someone have it installed and working on production machines?

Hi,

I have the project of rewriting syncml-server from scratch. I began to work on
it but, as lots of people, time ... always time ...

Anyway, I had a mail from Mark Wormgoor explaining the situation. I think I can
write it here, nothing specially private inside ...

Here it is :

---------------

Jens and I did some work towards syncml for phpGroupware last year.
However, at some point Jens joined the army (if I remember correctly) and
the amount of work was just too much for me.

Jens wrote the php_sml_wrapper, which is a php module around the syncml
library provided by the SyncML Initiative.  It would be better to rewrite
all of the syncml library in PHP, but that was too much work.

I spent most of my time trying to find out how to integrate SyncML into
PHPGW.  At the time, PHPGW had no clean interface to all of the necessary
data, which made things very hard.  I hope that improved now.  I attempted
to document my efforts in the doc/phpgw_sync_engine.txt.

SyncML is a very complex protocol and supports lots and lots of features.
Implementing all of these will probably take up a lot of time.  Also, at the
time no decent SyncML clients were available for us to test synchronization
(or perhaps do some reverse engineering).  I don't know if these clients are
available now.

The syncml-test.php is a test script to test all of the syncml library
functions.  It will show you how to create messages and start/stop
synchronizations.

As you can see, nobody really works on the actual release of the module right
now; and from what I have seen in the code, lots of parts are missing, so I
doubt that somebody is using it on production machines ...

The libsml code must come from the syncml dev toolkit.

Here is what I know for this module.

Bye !