Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] 3-tiered design

From: Jim
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] 3-tiered design
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:25:25 -0700

Dan:

Again, thanks for the response.

I appreciate that you must choose your battles carefully, and that time is
one commodity you do not have in abundance.

I also realize we are still at the fringes with this slice of the technology
spectrum, and that the ink is barely dry on most of the standards, all the
while the big boys duke it out over protocols.

However, you and I both know where - ultimately - the industry in headed
with the technology, most notably the business opportunities afforded by
communication pathways via Web Services.

What I am saying here is that it is understandable that little interest has
yet to bubble to the surface.

My analysis of the industry bets that the union of open-source software with
Web Services will turn the industry on its head. I believe that phpGroupWare
has the infrastructure foundation (both from a software quality standpoint
as well as architecturally) to make some of that happen, which is where I am
coming from.

What, may I ask, needs to be "fixed" on the SOAP side? If you have XML-RPC
working then its safe bet that the XML side of the equation is fine. That
leaves the Interop issues specific to the packaging.

Is this something that I would be able to take a look at? I have been with
you since about August of 2000 so I know my way around the phpGW barn just a
little.

-- Thanks for your time!

Jim
IS Manager