[Phpgroupware-developers] Calendar app

From: Peter Andersson
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Calendar app
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:59:27 +0000

First of all I want to say that phpGroupware Rocks!, but

The Calendar app seems to have a number of inconsistensies regarding the time.
Things behave differently depending on the TZ-setting etc.

Now I'm not a programmer, but I'm curious about how phpGW in whole and how
Calendar
app in particular stores time-values.

I thought that the obvious choice would be to store _all_ time values in
TIMESTAMP
or DATETIME format in UTC, meaning we have a absolute time for the things that
happen. When someone in Sweden books a meeting for 10:00 am, the guy in GB sees
this as a meeting at 09:00 am (I think it diffs 1 hour). As far as this goes it
looks perfect.

Then of course, when someone changes their TZ-setting, the times change (because
phpGW shows time in local format). That is OK to me, maybe a choice of moving
events accordingly would be appropriate.
One problem is timesaving, but if the api handles that (so that one hour is
added
if I am outside TS setting something inside TS and vice versa) there would be no
problem with time what so ever, everything would be stored in UTC.

This of course needs a correct TIMEZONE table with the TIMESAVING periods
defined.

Is this how it is done in theory, or is this doable?
Or is there a better solution = how is it done now?

Just a few thoughts,

Peter Andersson