pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] ./configure and dependencies detection

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] ./configure and dependencies detection
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:46:27 +0100

Hi Sylvain.

   When compiling gnupdf I noticed that features are enabled or disabled
   based on their presence on the system.

   I don't like this, because users usually don't know if they compiled
   the library the recommended way or not.

   [...]

   Having a clear and static recommended build was welcome by packagers,
   who sometimes (mistakenly) consider autoconf with suspicion because a
   lot of 'configure' scripts don't have a consistent behavior. This also
   makes people gain time by avoiding a few recompilations to enable
   features that were disabled due to a missing -dev package.

   What do you think?

I think that would be good to adopt that behavior for our configure
script.

In that way, if jbig2dec is unavailable, for example, the configure
script would fail and the user would need to explicitly specify
--disable-jbig2 in order to build a library without jbig2 filters.

   I can provide patches for this, this isn't much work :)

Please :) I just created a task for it.
http://www.gnupdf.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=88&project=2

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>