pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Unicode path names

From: jemarch
Subject: [pdf-devel] Unicode path names
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 21:30:27 +0200

Hello.

I am thinking about the encoding of path names for the disk
filesystem.

In GNU systems (and POSIX ones) the user can choose to interpret the
file names stored in the inodes according to the current locale:
ascii, unicode, iso-8859-X, etc.

I think that a good approach for the disk filesystem would be to
always use Unicode pdf_text_t variables for path names and then
convert to the current system encoding using the pdf_text
capabilities:

   unicode path <--> pdf-fsys-disk <--> current system encoding

Since Macos 10 is a POSIX system the above schema should work but,
what about Windows systems?

Do someone know how file names are interpreted in Windows systems? The
pdf_text module provides support conversion from Unicode to host
encoding in Windows machines but, are file names encoded with the host
encoding supported by pdf_text?

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>
                  <address@hidden>