new completion code in parallel 20220622

From: Ole Tange
Subject: new completion code in parallel 20220622
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 23:45:39 +0800

> I'm packaging parallel for Void Linux and have a few notes on the last

Great. Thanks.

> 1) install-data-hook doesn't respect $DESTDIR when installing completions.
> 2) install-data-hook assumes parallel is in $PATH when installing completions,
>   which is not true when using $DESTDIR; using ./src/parallel instead
>   should be fine.

Yeah, let's see if we can get that fixed before the next release.
20220622 is not a particularly important release.

I am looking at your patch for inspiration:
https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/master/srcpkgs/parallel/patches/destdir.patch

> 3) Why does the zsh completion eval at runtime instead of generating
>   the output at compile time, just like bash?

I would have loved to make the bash version dynamic as well, but found
no way of doing so.

The idea is that if the user installs a newer version in their path,
then the completion code will be generated from the newer version even
if /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/parallel/_parallel remains from the
old version.

I have some users whose sysadmin has installed an old version, but who
needed features in newer versions - so they installed the newer
version in their path.

But these thoughts should be documented in the code, so thanks for asking.

/Ole