Re: Problem with parallel : it stops with a warning after several hours

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Problem with parallel : it stops with a warning after several hours of operations
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:05:05 +0200

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:50:49 +0200 (CEST)
> Hubert Kowalski <h.kowalski@hakger.pl> wrote:
>
>> > parallel: Warning: No more file handles.
>> > parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -n or /etc/security/limits.conf may
>> > help.
>>
>> Parallel runs out of file handles. try railing limit, for example
>> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files/
:
> But why does it happen?

That is unclear at the moment. It is not a known GNU Parallel bug.

> I only run 4 jobs at the same time. Aren't file handles getting closed and
> recycled?

Yes.

The only theory I currently have is that your system is hitting the
global limit for files open - not the local per-session-limit.

So if there is something else running on the system, that uses a lot
of file handles, then this can explain what you see.

> I don't think it should happen.

See if you can file a bug as per REPORTING BUGS in the man page.

Especially important is the part on minimal, complete, and verifiable
example. If others cannot reproduce your findings, then it is
extremely hard to debug.

See if you can make the error show up on a different system.

/Ole