Re: Numbered files created in current working directory?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Numbered files created in current working directory?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 00:48:06 +0100

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 1:54 AM, Edward J. Sabol <Edward.J.Sabol@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hello! I just upgraded to GNU parallel 20141022.
>
> Whenever I run any parallel command (including "parallel --version"!), it
> creates 61 files numbered 1 though 61 in the current working directory. Most
> of these files have zero length, but file 1 and/or 2 sometimes contain output
> from the parallelized commands.
>
> Is this a bug? My previous versions of GNU parallel from a couple years ago
> did not create any numbered files in the current working directory.

That is clearly a bug.

It is happens in the function save_stdin_stdout_stderr(), which was
introduced in version 20130630.

So now we need to figure out why it happens on your system but not
mine. We are running the same perl code, so that is not it. It is
instead due to something in your environment.

This then leads us to the manual:

       If you suspect the error is dependent on your
       environment or distribution, please see if you
       can reproduce the error on one of these
       VirtualBox images:
       http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualboximage/files/

If you cannot reproduce the error on those VirtualBox images, then see
if you can build a VirtualBox image on which you _can_ reproduce the
error, and which you can give me a copy of.

> Also, "resources" is misspelled as "ressources" in
> parallel_tutorial.{1,pod,texi,html}.

Thanks. Fixed.

> Thanks for all your efforts with this very useful tool.

If you like GNU Parallel:

* Give a demo at your local user group/team/colleagues
* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
Identi.ca/Google+/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/mailing lists
* Get the merchandise https://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/merchandise.html
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference

If you use GNU Parallel for research:

* Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --bibtex)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

/Ole