Re: How slow is GNU Parallel

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: How slow is GNU Parallel
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:49:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Ole Tange <tange <at> gnu.org> writes:
>> This was measured on my 4 hyperthreaded cpus (= 8 "cores") forced to
>> run 1.7GHz, so the timings may be lower if you have a faster cpu or if
>> you do not use hyperthreading.
>
> If you post the script, I could give you times for an Opteron 6328 on Cygwin
> on Windows Server2012R2 (aside from clock frequency this is a very similar
> CPU to yours: 4 piledriver modules with two cores each).

It is now in git:

  parallel/doc/boxplot-runtime

Don't waste too much time on it, though (It has a lot of dependencies
outside Cygwin). I will be surprised if the trend is not the same, and
the actual timings (milliseconds) will likely just be a factor off. If
it is run on a machine that does other things or which has a dynamic
cpu frequency you will see a bigger spread. In my initial tries that
spread was so big it completely obscured the trend.

/Ole