Re: Gnu Parallel

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Gnu Parallel
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:51:46 +0200

Hi Joschi.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Joschi Brauchle <joschi.brauchle@tum.de> wrote:

> Hi Ole,
>
> at our institute we are heavily using Gnu parallel as a tool to run
> maintenance jobs in our linux cluster simultaneously.

That is great to hear. I hope you also introduce it to the users of
the cluster. Experience tells me that they are the kind of people who
would appreciate GNU Parallel.

> We are currently
> branching the package from your OBS repo "home:tange".
>
> As you are regularly updating the package, I was wondering if you would be
> willing to submit it to an official openSUSE repository like "utilities" for
> example? I think it is a great tool for everyone managing lots of machines.
> You could do the maintenance work there as well...

I have never run (open)SuSE myself, and getting the OBS repo up and
running was both much more work and much more frustrating than I
expected. It is therefore unlikely that I will be doing work into that
direction without being hired as a consultant to do so.

But that should not stop you: You apparently run openSUSE and know
more about submitting to an official openSUSE repository than I will
ever know. GNU Parallel already has quite a few packagers that package
GNU Parallel for different distributions. If you want to be the
openSUSE package-maintainer, that will be great. Looking at
http://software.opensuse.org/package/gnu_parallel it seems Adrian
Schröter/Ludwig Nussel packaged the last official version a year ago,
but that jengelh@inai.de updated the unstable version to 20140722.

So my advice would be to contact Adrian Schröter, Ludwig Nussel, and
jengelh@inai.de and ask how you can help out.

> Best regards,
> Joschi Brauchle

/Ole