Re: NetBSD and pkgsrc packages of parallel

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: NetBSD and pkgsrc packages of parallel
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 23:26:00 +0200

2013/3/31 Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
The pkgsrc system differentiates between build requirements and runtime
requirements.  The binary package only depends on perl, but in order to
build parallel, you'd need to have perl and GNU make installed, for
which in turn you'd need gcc to build those.

You do not need to have GNU make installed. You can just copy the 'parallel' program  to /usr/bin/parallel or where it belongs on NetBSD.

If you make a "git co" of Gnu parallel there will be no difference between ./src/parallel and /usr/bin/parallel. You can just use the program from ./src/parallel or copy the program to /usr/bin/ - if you like.

Hope this makes sense. :-)

No. Please explain. If you start with some tar-ball in NetBSD and there is no makefile, how do you then find out where to place all the files?

As I dont have NetBSD I have not tried it but my guess is that any 'make' will go with the autoconf and automake which is used.

/hans