Re: What would you like to see in next video?

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: What would you like to see in next video?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:43:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Ole Tange wrote:

It is probably time to get a new video out.

What would you like to see demoed in that?

Why not:
GNU Parallel for system administrators

and start out with building a Debian package. The package could also be distributed with parallel, but I would do it with Puppet and my own package server.

Then do some simple commands and build them up and refine them. Like checking out one config line on all servers:

 grep search /etc/resolv.conf

 ssh foo grep search /etc/resolv.conf

 parallel ssh {} grep search /etc/resolv.conf ::: foo bar

 echo -e "foo\nbar" > ~/.parallel/sshlogin

 # and display it:
 cat ~/.parallel/sshlogin

 parallel -S .. --nonall grep search /etc/resolv.conf

 parallel --tag -S .. --nonall grep search /etc/resolv.conf

 echo "--tag -S .. --nonall" > ~/.parallel/n

 cat ~/.parallel/n

 parallel -Jn grep search /etc/resolv.conf

and here compare the last line with the first line. Its only a few characters more and scan all your servers.

and use more connections:
 parallel --tag -S .. --nonall -j100 grep search /etc/resolv.conf
where '100' is <= the number of servers you have.

Then there must be a lot of options in the man-page which having been on a video yet.

/hans
--
Horsebakken 78, DK-2400 København NV