Job Processing Was RE: Parallel Merge

From: Nathan Watson-Haigh
Subject: Job Processing Was RE: Parallel Merge
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:08:56 +0930

Hi Ole,

I'm in the middle of optimising the processing of such file. While I'm at it I
have a quick question:

I'm processing my input file with -N 2500 as it seems to give me the best
processing time. My CPU usage and disk IO are well below their maximum capacity
and wondered how GNU parallel processes/submits new jobs as others are
completed? I'm thinking that GNU parallel is somehow stalling my pipeline.
Could you provide some information on this aspect of GNU parallel?

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Watson-Haigh
Senior Bioinformatician | The Australian Wine Research Institute
Waite Precinct, Hartley Grove cnr Paratoo Road, Urrbrae (Adelaide) SA 5064 |
http://www.awri.com.au/contact/map.asp
PO Box 197, Glen Osmond SA 5064, Australia
T: +61 8 83136836 (direct) | T: +61 8 83136600 | F: +61 8 83136601
8 www: http://www.awri.com.au/ | http://www.awri.com.au/events/calendar/

This communication, including attachments, is intended only for the
addressee(s) and contains information which might be confidential and/or the
copyright of The Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI) or a third party. If
you are not the intended recipient of this communication please immediately
delete and destroy all copies and contact the sender. If you are the intended
recipient of this communication you should not copy, disclose or distribute any
of the information contained herein without the consent of the AWRI and the
sender. Any views expressed in this communication are those of the individual
sender except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the
AWRI. No representation is made that this communication, including attachments,
is free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of
the recipient.