Re: Possible bug -- how to trace the dead-lock?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Possible bug -- how to trace the dead-lock?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:15:50 +0100

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Maciej Pilichowski
<pilichowski.maciej@gmail.com> wrote:

>  So my statistics is this -- every 5th job ends up with a dead-lock.

To have people on the email list help you, you need to provide them
with an example that reproduces this behaviour. For all we know it
could simply be a hardware issue related to your two machines that
only happens when the machines are pushed to the limit (and GNU
Parallel is known to do that).

See if you can simplify your jobs and still get the error. When you
have found the minimal example post it here so others can reproduce
it.

>  So how to trace the problem. For me it is parallel issue, because each
> processing is independent of each other, and I ran those jobs in a sequence
> (w/o parallel) for several years, and didn't have _once_ such problem.

-vv -D will give you some debugging information.

/Ole