Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New project with paparazzi

From: Gerard Toonstra
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New project with paparazzi
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 14:30:16 -0300

Hi Felix,

You're right. I'm happy to use the tools myself, but I would never expect users to be able to use them. We're probably going to use a webserver+browser+python runtime
solution, as these work across all platforms and don't have specific dependencies.

1. I notice that generated settings file now. The idea is indeed to only ever read this at startup and/or when connected to USB.
    I saw that superbitrf is calling it, but am I right that it isn't called by other datalinks at the moment?  i.e., at the moment the settings for xbee are never persisted,
    just updated in RAM?

2. I think acrobatics require a change from attitude mode into rate mode and then use a pre-set rotation rate for executing the flip using the gyro until it returns upside up
   and a short spike in throttle perhaps to not lose too much altitude. That openpilot mode is actuated by pushing stick full sideways or forward, switching into the mode and
   executing the manoeuver. It doesn't sound too complicated, but I reckon a lot of issues will come up during the manoeuver. We are already building a device of
    40x40cm that allows us to test multirotors without getting damage and where it has full freedom in rotation.

3. The mission interface looks like a good start. I intended to use the existing nav blocks and activate one, passing the required parameters. The reason why I
    mentioned an external board is because I think it's a great way to open the platform for application developers. They can choose their own build environment,
    OS, language, hardware and other parameters and through that, they define what the capabilities of the vehicle are. APM for example already requires more resources
    on storage and computation, because they upload SRTM data for terrain following, which may require updates during the flight. Elaborating more complex navigation plans
    would increase these requirements more and more.

Rgds,