Re: [Paparazzi-devel] What do people do/where are they?

From: Ben Despain
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] What do people do/where are they?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 14:04:07 -0600

Hi all,

I got my graduate degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Utah. I'm currently trying to start a business building my own VTOL that transitions from tricopter to plane for fully autonomous, efficient flight and accurate landing with no need for a pilot. Goal is to sell my first iteration to my brother for about $1500 in June and then keep iterating from there.

I'm currently familiarizing myself with the ardupilot platform and trying to edit the code to handle the transition from VTOL to plane.

About 5 years ago I built a Tiny board in my spare time with a friend but never flew with it (I still have it but it's pretty out of date now and I guess it would be a waste of time to try to use it as a transitioning autopilot - I still do wonder if I should try to combine it with my Hobby King KK2.1.5 board though but I also wonder if I should just do a whole new paparazzi board). I got stuck with the complexities of the Paparazzi platform, my own manufacturing and design (I built my own CNC router and CNC foam cutter) and my limited time. But, I always wanted to get an engineering degree so I could work on flight-related things (which I really like) so I decided to quit my job about a year ago (since I wasn't doing anything flight-related) and am now full-time trying to build my VTOL with the following immediate goals:

I think I've been involved with like two or three code commits, but I don't have any experience developing for paparazzi. But I'm willing :)

Thanks for all you do,
Ben