[Paparazzi-devel] Update on my X8 with Paparazzi

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Update on my X8 with Paparazzi
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:59:25 +0200

Hi.
First i wish to all of you reading this a happy new year and health to you and your whole family.
Yesterday i had a perfect field day (at last i would say) testing my X8.
The plane took off from a ramp with bungee set at 30 kg flew straight up with authority and motor off, went to photograph a near by stadium and returned safely to earth by parachute
at 2.5 m/s.
Te AP is now trimmed right and it works fine.
For this flight i used a Hyperion ZS4020 775Kv motor with a carbon 13x8 propeller (similar to Graupner's 13x8), consumption at WOT was 76A static and 67A in flight, cruising current @ 50km/h was about (i didn't got that right as i was busy checking the AP so it is an estimation) ~7A (110W) and the battery used was a 4S 15Ah lipo.
AUW was 4.9 Kg.
Now that the take off part is easy i can experiment with higher pitch propellers more suitable for
cruising at high altitude efficiently.
Does anyone have a flight plan example of how to use the catapult module?
I was afraid to use it as i don't know how to implement it in the flight plan for sure.
If i can achieve auto take off also then the airlane is a true UAV.
I am now in the process of building a real catapult 3m long and my options are either a winch attached to the catapult and some pulleys or bungee rubber and pulleys.
Chris