[Paparazzi-devel] Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)

From: Marc Schwarzbach
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Test flight results (Lisa/M, ETS, Pitch-loop, GPS)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:35:42 +0200

Hi,

did a long test flight yesterday with results probably interesting and related
to some previous issues...

Setup: Easystar, Lisa/M 2, UBlox Lea-4, Eagletree Speed on I2C2."Old control"

1. Probably most interesting because related to recent discussions: Pitch loop.
I started manually and commanded to home circle. Altitude hold was really bad,
looking at the data, there is a phase offset from desired climb to desired
pitch which led to huge oscillation around desired altitude. Looking at the
code, I think the reason are the integrators of the auto pitch loop winding up
and taking time to desaturate.. The values of the integrators (limits in the
code, not gains) seem quite high. Is this dependant on control frequency?
1.a There is no setting file for airspeed in "old control" (like
basic_airspeed). I wrote one, probably should be integrated?
Should "new control" perform better anyway? Then it should/could be made
standard in the example airframes, which it is not at the moment...

2. The Airspeed sensor works on the I2C2 port with 3.3V (also written in the
specs). But initialisation seems to be a problem. Only after
(Luftboot)programming, the sensor delivers data. If I just plug the battery in,
airspeed is constant 8.. Sensor display shows numbers like usual. Should there
be some kind of pause in the ETS init? Or is this an I2C related problem?

3. The V_BATT voltage reading was wrong with the standard conversion value. I
had to alter it from 0.00485*adc to 0.00459*adc. Were there different values of
resistors in the production in the voltage divider?

4 GPS... The performance of the Lea-4 (navilock module) seems to be much worse
with the configuration of the gps_ubx_ucenter.xml module compared to the
offboard configuration with the conf/gps/ublox_conf.c. Especially altitude is
drifting like crazy and z_dot looks bad (most times close to 0 and not fitting
to the actual altitude changes). The differences seem to be Airborne 2G instead
4G and EGNOS activated. I will check this in future flights but confirmation of
this issue by others would be good.

The Easystar really showed its forgiving nature in this flight. It was the
first flight with Airspeed and all the tuning could be done in auto2 without
switching back (20 minutes) :-) Looked crazy in the air, but never unstable.

Cheers

Marc