Re: [Paparazzi-devel] TWOG and gps_ubx_ucenter module

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] TWOG and gps_ubx_ucenter module
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:27:51 +1000

Hi Jeremy,

I haven't used CSGShop MAX-6Q, can you store config to EEPROM?

Chris Gough

On 30/07/2012, at 9:03 PM, "Jeremy Reinertsen" <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks Christophe,

Working through your suggestions as follows:

1) Rx-Tx pins swapped = definitely not
2) Uart0 <-> Uart1 swapped = I am using the default "DownLoad GPS" Uart0 connector on the TWOG.
3) Non correct voltage supply to GPS (5v gps or 3.3v ?) = this GPS module has a 3.3V regulator and I am powering with 5V from the TWOG and Umarim.
4) ROTORCRAFT <-> FIXEDWING firmware (configures rate of NAV_SOL to 1Hz on fixedwing that use LLH for position and 4Hz for rotorcraft with ECEF->LTP position)= definitely fixedwing in aircraft file.
5) most UBlox have 2 or more ttl ports, a usb port and even an i2c port. Depending on the GPS board it can be ublox_port1 or ublox_port2 that is routed to the pins (not to confuse with paparazzi_lpc_port0 and port1) The ubx_module can configure the GPS to give its messages on another port with the GPS_PORT_ID define. If not provided, the module assumes GPS_PORT_UART1. But you can define more options: https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/v4.0/sw/airborne/modules/gps/gps_ubx_ucenter.c  LINE 267 ->= the MAX-6Q has a single ttl port which is GPS_PORT_UART1 (the default).
6) Other airframe file related problem: e.g. trying to run umarin itg3200 imu code in a twog that has not have it... (imu does stops the boot if not configured correctly)= airframe files are identical other then their board and IMU settings.

I have a Paparazzi GPS and CSGShop GPS for testing and I can connect either to the Umarim and both will work. The Paparazzi GPS (LEA-5H) works on the TWOG but the CSGShop (MAX-6Q) GPS refuses to work on the TWOG. Of course the Paparazzi GPS does not need the gps_ubx_ucenter module and this is why I am suspecting a software error.

Also worth noting that I can fit a backup battery to this GPS module and configure it via ucenter and it will work on the TWOG. But the MAX-6Q will return to its default settings when the battery is removed or goes flat. So I am trying to get it to work without the backup battery.

Has anyone else tried a TWOG and CSGShop (MAX-6Q) GPS?

Cheers
Jeremy