Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Yapa+CHIMU+Ublox+Xbee not able to open the Ground

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Yapa+CHIMU+Ublox+Xbee not able to open the Ground Control Station
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:12:24 +0100

a) Getting the xbee to work is the hardest part. The baudrate of the airframe file needs to match the baudrate of the yapa-side-modem. The baudrate of the ground modem needs to match the baudrate defined by the "link" program when you start the groundstation. Then there is transparent or xbee_api. I recommend xbee-api for 2.4GHz modems. This is also selected in the airframe file AND on the ground side as flag of the link program (should look like this except sim is then link:  http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Paparazzi_Center ). Look at the leds of the FTDI utility board.Does it receive data? Then there is also another possible problem: but then I first need to answer point b)

b) This is a common confusion in paparazzi: the usb connector on yapa is ONLY for flashing new code. The computer should find a "bootloader device". When you power up the yapa/twog AFTER the usb was plugged you are in bootloader. When you power yapa BEFORE the usb is plugged, then it starts the autopilot code (which blinks some leds).

To upload new code to yapa: "Clean"  -->  "Build"  --> plug USB  --> Power yapa after USB  --> "Upload"  --> you should see "#########"  ("......" means searching for an autopilot)

back to a): As a security measure to avoid flying with incompatible autopilot and groundstation there is a protection. An MD5 is computed over your config files and if it does not match then the ground station also stays black. However the messages (menu tools - messages) should show data and paparazzi center shows a red error about MD5. If you did not know about b) you probably did not flash either so configs should be out of sync.

Does this help?

-Christophe