Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:17:15 +0000

Hi David,

I have 10 umarims that were made up at a fab house.
Of the 10, 6 had the short circuit issue described in the wiki (I added the
note, attached is the diagram from the fab house).
I didn't want to report the issues with the gerbers on the mailing list until I
was sure of the issue, but didn't want anyone wasting money getting potentially
problematic PCBs made up!

For those who don't know, the pads of the ITG-3200 on the board extend
underneath the QFN package.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the ITG
has a metallic base.
The clearance is 0.025mm, which is less than the tolerance of the fab house I
used.  I can't correct the issue (other than by directly messing with the
gerbers) as I don't have access to Protel, which the files were created in.

I haven't flown yet in case vibration or moisture caused the 'good'  boards to
short mid-flight.
The boards have now been reworked and kaptan tape added to the base of the
ITG's, so we'll be flight testing shortly.

I did do some ground testing with the board & a level shifted serial cable, and
everything worked as you described (haven't checked baro though).
I've also programmed one via UART-1. which worked.

It may be possible that as the board heated up slightly on your burn-in test
the expansion caused the ITG to short.  The 3.3V converter is short-protected
but does get hot in this condition (although doesn't burn out) and heats the
rest of the board up.  Once you switched everything off and the board cooled
down, everything would work again.  It may at least be worth checking (just pop
the umarim in the oven at a low temperature and do a continuity check on the
outputs of the 3.3V regulator once it's warm).

Again, I would be deeply suspicious of that ITG.  I'd recommend the kaptan tape
even if you aren't sure.
I can try running a burn in test @ 13.5V with my Umarims on Monday (I've run
them for a couple of hours, but at 8.5V).
If there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know & keep me
updated, as I'm planning to start flight testing this week.

Cheers,
Gareth